Sunday, November 3, 2013

Recipe ~ Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings


This recipe is my oldest son's most favorite recipe that I make. Nothing tops this one for him! 

You can make this recipe with either frozen or fresh vegetables. I used to make it with fresh vegetables but I've recently discovered that if I use frozen, it's more cost effective for me because I don't waste any of the vegetables. 

This is a two step process.  The first step is to cook the chicken and the vegetables in the liquids on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4 hours in the crockpot. Then, you will transfer what is in the crock into a large pot in order to cook the dumplings on the stove. 

Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings

1 large chicken breast or 2 small to medium sized ones
2 tbsp butter
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 can of cream of celery soup
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 onion, finely diced (or about 1 cup frozen, chopped onion)
1 cup celery, diced (or 1 cup frozen celery)
1 cup carrots, sliced (or 1 cup frozen carrots)
chicken bullion seasoning or cube to taste
salt & pepper to taste

Add all the above ingredients into your crockpot. Stir it up then cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. 

When time has elapsed, shred chicken (it will fall apart because it will be so tender) and transfer the crockpot ingredients into a large pot on the stove and bring to a boil. 

For the Dumplings: 

Make a batch of Bisquick (or your favorite brand) of biscuit dough, as per directions on the box. I put about 1/2 cup of the flour mix into a small bowl in order to keep my fingers dusted then I pinch off small bite sized portions of dough and form into a ball. Drop into the boiling liquid. Keep the dumplings stirred during this process. Repeat until all the Bisquick is used up. As soon as you have formed all the dough into balls, you can turn the heat off. Let cool for for 10 or so minutes as the chicken and dumplings will be very hot! Enjoy! Let me know how you like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment